Thursday, June 28, 2012

Thoughts on the SCOTUS ACA Ruling

I was going to title this "Everything You Need to Know" but I already wrote that earlier! The Affordable Care Act was ruled constitutional, which means that starting in 2014, adults with pre-existing conditions (like kidney disease or acne or having been pregnant) cannot be denied coverage or have their coverage dropped. Healthcare will be more affordable and tens of millions more people with have it. Preventative care will be free (and birth control!) and the health exchanges will help individuals  who are self-employed or who's employers have fewer than fifty employees receive insurance. Young adults like me can stay on our parents' health insurance until we're twenty-six (since I've been enjoying that part of the law already, I have immediate reason to be happy it didn't get oveturned!).

We had one great day back in February of 2010, and we're having another one here in June of 2012.

Was it perfect? No. The limited reading of the Commerce Clause may (or may not!) cause problems in the future, and the limitations of the Medicaid expansion are disconcerting (although most states will fall in line, the hardcore Republican ones will probably take many more years to fully cooperate). But just remember - it could have been so much worse.

I'm really happy today, and I hope you are, too. Enjoy it.

In my next few posts, I'm going to give you lots of different areas and readings of today's news. You can take or leave what you will. The most important things have already been said.

No comments:

Post a Comment