Friday, April 29, 2011

People Who Can Relate

It sucks when bad things happen to nice people who are way to young to be dealing with this kind of stuff.

Here's the perspective of a woman who suffered a stroke at twenty-six. That's a lot tougher than what I went through, and I'm really amazed at how she's pulled herself together after having her whole mind fall apart. Also, the name of her blog is brilliant - Mindpop.

Here are some ways not to cheer up or relate to a cancer patient. I can tell you, these also apply to kidney patients (though my own responses were generally not quite quick and snarky so much as yelling or quiet seething - I could only handle two emotional levels during that time).

Sometimes it's good for me to remember how lucky I am, and that it could have been so much worse. Then again, I'm not writing for the Hairpin and these ladies the coolest! So clearly I still have something to strive for.

[Also, ladies, if you are reading this which I highly doubt because - you know, why? How did you even know this blog existed? I am also flattered, though! - I don't at all understand what you're going through, but please know that reading about your experiences makes me feel like I wasn't a total crazy/mean/bad person for thinking a lot of the same things when I was going through my I'm-too-young-for-this-also-this-is-BS experience.]

[Thanks, the Hairpin and The Awl for publishing such great articles!]

No comments:

Post a Comment