Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Should there be an Academy Award for Best Comedy?

Well, I'd love to win an Academy Award someday, so part of me says "Yes!" and all of Judd Apatow says "Yeah, duh, I just said I did and that's why you're talking about it now." Oh, yeah.

There's another part of me, though, that, while I understand that the Academy is never going to respect comedy in the same way it respects drama, doesn't want to give up altogether and say, "Fine, let's make us special." It's the same part of me that wishes "WALL-E" had won best pictures. It was undeniably the best movie of the year, but because it was animated, it only won the "Best Animated Feature" category. Yes, it's good that animation is recognized, but it's also recognized in a compromised way. Like "Oh yeah, you're so great in comparison with everything that's the same as you" instead of "Yeah, you're a badass compared to literally everything else. Boom!" That part of me will never want to compromise and say "Ok, let's just go for Best Comedy." Then again, that part of me also thinks I'm going to work out every day - or even once a week - so it's not really the brightest light in my ever-lit lightbulb storage room.

[via /Film]

No comments:

Post a Comment