Friday, May 25, 2012

Upfronts! NBC

So here we go. By only ordering half seasons for "Community" and "30 Rock" NBC has given themselves more room for new comedies, and they've jam-packed it. They also seem to be building a new Tuesday comedy block alongside FOX and ABC, so we'll see how that plays out. Here's the schedule. That link also contains trailers - so whatever happened with FOX didn't happen with NBC. NBC FTW!

My second most anticipated show of next fall is NBC's "Go On" - It's a risky show, dealing with grief, acceptance, and moving on with your life amongst a room filled with equally fractured people, but I want it to work. Plus, it's got a former "Friends" writer at the helm, and Matthew Perry as the star. That's not necessarily a recipe for a hit, but I'd like to think it'll give it a boost in the right direction. What do you think?



Less exciting are, "Guys with Kids" from Jimmy Fallon (Fallon I like, but he's not starring, and the stars they do have don't seem all that exciting, considering the loose premise), "The New Normal" from Ryan Murphy (clearly riding the "Glee" train, pass), and "Animal Practice" (I love monkeys. I hate monkeys in TV shows. It's not a realistic portrayal! People will think they can have monkeys as pets and that is bad. Otherwise, I'll wait until the premiere to assess.)

For midseason, they're going with "Save Me" (Anne Heche, born again prophet... is there such a thing as too high concept?), "1600 Penn" (obviously, NBC doesn't think so... but waiting until after the election to premiere this show is ridiculous. Everyone is going to be washed out on politics after November. But, clearly they want to hitch their wagon to Josh Gad's star, and that's not a bad idea) and "Next Caller" starring Dane Cook (Ummmmm... is this 2006?)

Anywho, as you can see I'm not tackling the dramas. I'll leave that to someone more qualified. That being said, there's nothing this season that really strikes me the way "Awake" did, and, well, look how that turned out.  Then again, I wasn't expecting anything from "Once Upon A Time" and now I'm a bona fide Onceler. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment