Friday, December 11, 2009

Things I Like About Dallas: Dessert

I've been going home a lot recently, Thanksgiving, a funeral, and the upcoming Christmas spectacular that begins next Saturday - get ready, family! Despite all my treks to the southland, though, I haven't said much about it and its many wonders. Here is a brief list (minus all of my friends and family that I get to visit, of course!).

First Up: Dessert!

1) Mustang Donuts: so named for being right next to SMU (Southern Methodist University) whose mascot is the Mustang, and for selling donuts. About a two-three min drive from my house, this spot sells the absolute tastiest donuts that I've ever eaten anywhere. New York has nothing on these fried little bites of heaven. My favorite? The Mustang White Cream - a donut filled with Mustang's own white icing - not pudding - icing. Just be warned: it closes at noon (like any real donut place) and may hold too much tastiness for one sitting.

2) JD's Chippery: Right around the corner from Mustang (literally), is JD's, which makes the best store-bought cookies ever, I think. I specify store-bought because out of familial ties I must say that my dad's homemade cookies (oatmeal, chocolate-chip, pecan) are the best cookies of all time. But JD's are great, freshly baked right there, and sometimes I get a Cherry Limeade to go with it - but that depends on how much sugar you can handle because they always put SO MUCH syrup in it! Yummy but also terrible for your teeth. My favorites: the oatmeal chocolate-chip, the snickerdoodles, and the milk chocolate-chip.

3) Pokey-O's: Also three minutes from my house, but in a slightly different direction than JD's and Mustang, Pokey-O's is an ice cream sandwich place - yes, just ice cream sandwiches all day, everyday. They make ice cream sandwiches daily from delicious, freshly baked cookies (of your choice, I generally go for chocolate-chip here, too), and then stuffed with a mound of Blue Bell ice cream - a classic ice cream made only in 17 states but also the 3rd most bought brand, so there you go. This store is new to Dallas, I think only since the summer after freshmen year of college, but it's pretty darn delicious.

4) Paciugo: Gelato made by an Italian with ingredients imported from Italy - having eaten the real stuff, I am fully qualified to say it's just as good. DARN good. Tons of flavors to choose from and you get to put three (3!) different flavors in the small size (which is big enough, let me tell you). My favorites: Stratiacella, Chocolate chocolate chip, Banana with Nilla Wafers. I never go for the sorbet because I'm just not that kind of girl, but I hear it's fantastic.

5) The Highland Park Pharmacy: About 10 min from home, best grilled cheese and shake combo EVER. You've got to split the shakes, though, because they're massive, so I hope you're ready for that. But, mmm mmm, it's always a great decision. And it's totally awesome because it literally has not changed since like, 1950, so it's totally old and dirty and the ladies that work there are super old and have been there since who knows when. So fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment