Monday, October 18, 2010

2010 Kidney Walk!

The Kidney Walk was a huge success!

I've read a lot of articles about how walks or runs for charity in general don't do as great of a job at fundraising as other forms of fundraising do. This is because a lot of resources and money get spent on getting the walk together in the first place instead of going directly towards the cause itself.

This definitely makes sense, and is a valid critique. However, having actually participated in one of these walks now, I really get why people do them. They're fun, they make you feel connected to other people who have gone through the same issues you have, and they help you bring awareness and funds to your cause. You all raised $790 for the NKF by sponsoring me. Would we have given that much without the frame of the walk? I doubt it. Plus, getting this far has certainly made me excited to raise even more money for the walk next year. The NY Kidney Walk in total raised $665,232.48. That's pretty amazing. Especially because where did that $.48 come from? Seriously, like, who just donated $.48? Weird! Anyway...

So while there are concerns about the amount of money spent on getting the walk going versus getting the charity going, I can definitely say that doing the NFK Kidney Walk was an amazing experience and I will definitely be doing it again next year.

Also, if you're interested in exactly where your money is going, here is how NKF divides their funds. Seems like a pretty fair division to me.

PS. I wish I had photos, but I forgot my camera. I'll definitely bring it next year. Also, Grizz Chapman from 30 Rock was there and I met him and shook his hand and everything! It was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment