Monday, October 18, 2010

New Improvements on Treating Kidney Cancer!

Fortunately, I do not have kidney cancer. But having just walked the 2010 NKF Kidney Walk, I realize that kidney cancer is a serious issue affecting thousands of people every year. Therefore, when I found out that the Mayo Clinic just came up with a new way to get rid of tumors on kidneys and livers, I was so happy! I just had to tell you guys.

The basic gist is that they're using lasers to blast off tumors with heat - awesome, right? And the great news is that they've successfully done this with five patients.

They've used this technique, laser ablasion, in brain and spine cancer patients before, but this was the first time it was adapted to liver and kidney tumors. The idea is that the more they use this procedure, the more they'll be able to adapt it to other tumors on other organs in the body.

Way to go, Mayo!

No comments:

Post a Comment