Thursday, June 30, 2011

Crows Never Forget

The hilariously named "Proceedings of the Royal Society B" published a study revealing that crows can remember the faces of those (humans!) who've wronged them for over five years. Because crows are social and eerily smart, their whole flock can remember a person's face even if just one crow in the flock was wronged by him or her. Of course, what's the good of remembering the person's face if you don't do anything about it? Well, they've worked that out, too. The entire flock will attack that person every time they see them in the future.

So remember - you can insult and belittle crows as much as you want to your friends, but never to a crow's face, or in a park, or outdoors at all really, or with a window open... maybe you just shouldn't insult the crows.

I'm personally set for life with crows, though. They won't harm me. When I was in 4th grade, I saved a crow who's wing was broken and gave him to a rehabilitation center. Clearly, I didn't take advantage of this situation enough, though, or else I could have been the Queen of the Crows and used their mighty memories to attack all those who have wronged me.

Hmm... I wonder if crows are insulted or feel respected by the band Counting Crows. I'd be careful about playing outdoor concerts if I were them. Just in case.

... First the squirrels, now the crows... what forest-to-urban dwelling creature will come after us next?

No comments:

Post a Comment