Saturday, April 28, 2012

Francis Lawrence to Direct "Hunger Games" Sequel

It was definitely a letdown finding out that Gary Ross wouldn't be directing "Catching Fire" after he did such a great job with "The Hunger Games." While some top-tier names were bandied about as possibilities for his replacement, the job's gone to Francis Lawrence, of "Constantine," "I Am Legend," and "Water for Elephants."

I've only seen "I Am Legend" and "Water for Elephants" and he did a fine job with both. Unfortunately, considering all the second book's flaws, I am concerned that this more conventional pick, plus the short shooting schedule, may make for a disappointing second feature in the trilogy.

I was also disappointed that they didn't even put any female directors in their top contenders, "dream picks" list. Why not at least include Patty Jenkins, since we know she can handle the material? Oh, well, maybe they'll shape up for "Mockingjay." That one's the weirdest of them all, so whoever is in charge of it will really need to have their stuff together.

That being said, the first book in the "Hunger Games" series was my favorite, and they got that one right, so that's enough for me as a fan. Plus, they've got the writer of "Slumdog Millionaire" (Simon Beaufoy) writing with Suzanne Collins, so that's solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment