Friday, April 11, 2014

Lego Movie 2 Director Promises More Women in Sequel

I was a big fan of 'The Lego Movie' and I'm glad that the director of the sequel is determined to get more female characters in the sequel!

Director Chris McKay (getting a promotion after working with the delightful Phil Lord and Chris Miller last time) said to the Daily Mail, "I’m not sure our movie passes the Bechdel test entirely and I think that it's important." Believe me, in the super-high-grossing-animated-movie world, that's a BFD.

He went on, 'For us we have a lot of producers that were female who had concerns and we were always constantly saying to ourselves: "Are we just a bunch of white guys sitting here making this movie from our own myopic point of view? We were constantly responding to that question and that helped us make Wyldstyle a better character and Unikitty a more interesting character. I think it's forcing us to look at how we make a sequel and turn that into something that's more powerful and special... Obviously you have to look at the kind of story you’re trying to tell and the theme, but people don't underestimate the value of hard, cool female characters who have their own agency. That’s the thing we’re not doing enough as filmmakers."

Awesome, right? I don't know about you, but I just got a lot more excited about the Lego Movie sequel...

No comments:

Post a Comment