Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Awww, "Potterhood"

I saw Boyhood two weeks ago. It really felt like growing up. I don't love every Richard Linklater film (I think Waking Life only works if you're stoned), but I felt like this movie was well-suited to what he does well: capture a mood. The mood was "growing up" for both children and parents. It captured Texas well (nice shout out to the Dallas World Aquarium, even if they were supposed to be in Houston), and sometimes it's nice to have a movie where the biggest conflicts are "just feeling shitty" or "not knowing how to act around my parents" or "frustration at my kids for not appreciating me" and the normal story beats of "kid makes a bad choice > terrible consequence" aren't there. It's a real slice of life film if slice of life films were actually realistic. Of course, there is drama in one sequence, which I won't spoil, but the overall tone is much more subtle.

And all of that is to say that as much as I enjoyed the film in its two hours and forty minutes of nostalgia, I enjoyed this mash-up of Boyhood and the eight Harry Potter movies just as much:



[via /Film]

No comments:

Post a Comment