Monday, March 23, 2009

Things I've Noticed

Occasionally, I'll say words in accents that I don't have.

Some examples:

Tomorrow/Sorry: Both words I used to say quite frequently in a Canadian accent. I believe this may have had something to do with how much I watched "Franklin," a Canadian animated TV show about a turtle (named "Franklin"), which used to air on Nick, Jr. The weird thing? Sometimes I still say "tomorrow" and "sorry" in a Canadian accent, and I haven't watched "Franklin" since I was 8.

Museum/Bull(shit): My boyfriend is from Pittsburgh and while he doesn't have an "accent" exactly, he says these two words "muse-ay-um" and "bool" (rhymes with "pool"). At first I mimicked him just to be a jerk, but now that's how I always say those words - boyfriend or no boyfriend present.

Folk: I was on the phone the other day with a friend, and for some reason I - mid-conversation - began over-pronouncing the "L" in "folk." So instead of saying, essentially, "foke" I began saying, "foLLk" (i.e. "roll" but with a "k" at the end). I tried to stop myself once I noticed it, but it just got worse. Now all of a sudden I have to consciously tell myself to say it "foke" when I don't even know what accent would pronounce it "follk."

... When I think about it, maybe I steal words from others' accents since everyone tells me I don't have a Texas (born and raised!) accent. Honestly, I'm not even very good at copying a Texas accent. Clearly, my mind is overcompensating for my native-tongue betrayal.

1 comment:

  1. i dont have a texan accent either, but i did say y'all forever until i went to college in the northeast and it was beaten out of me.

    ReplyDelete