Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Remember this? Nostalgia!

One of the many writing jobs I scanned through today requested a writing sample - fiction, specifically for teenagers - so I was going to scan through my old writing classes and see if I could find anything that fit (most of my stuff, to be honest, is by this point in screenplay form as opposed to novel-form, but whatevs), but the first file I came across was my old journal, which starts around sophomore year (2003) and runs up until this past December (2009). I'm an avid journaler, so this one is over 1,000 pages, but the first 100 are pretty hilarious. Among the many adolescent traumas and loves and angst and whatnot I noticed one great trend.

I repeatedly posted my AOL profile, the precursor to the Facebook/Myspace/Twitter/Etc profile. It's so wonderfully angsty and brilliant. Do any of you guys remember your high school profiles? Did any of you write a journal that you still have?

Also, what's up with writing jobs requiring writing samples? I'm not made of words!

... To be fair, I am mostly made of words. They stitched "Property of DTI" into my new kidney before stuffing it into my tummy. Some sort of branding opportunity or something, corporate sponsorship, you know the drill.

1 comment:

  1. i have been slowly coming to terms with the fact that i am the opposite of made of words. somebody asked me what i did on sunday and it took me a full minute of silent concentration to offer up a one-sentence recap: i went to a pickle festival. this can not bode well for any aspirations i have as a writer. i tried to start a journal, but eventually i decided i'd rather just focus that creative energy on my current strategy of posting a fresh facebook update every other day.

    ReplyDelete