Sunday, March 14, 2010

Texas, Honey, Why Do You Hurt Me So?

First, read this.

Next, read this.

Finally, think about how much we're screwing over our kids, Texas Board of Education. I was lucky enough to go to one of the best private schools in Texas (certainly the best in Dallas, in my opinion). There, I gained a fabulous education through compassionate teachers who all helped give me a comprehensive view of history, English, all kinds of science, math, Spanish, the arts, and even the vague concept of "Wellness" (I went to an all-girls' school so God forbid we have body image issues or don't know the proper way to use free weights).

My teachers could choose whatever textbook they wanted. Even then, though, they noted inaccuracies, omissions, and chapters that simply seemed unnecessary. Fortunately, they provided us with outside sources, primary and secondary sources, and other great learning tools to make sure we mastered the subject with or without the textbook's help.

How many other kids are so lucky? How many teachers care so much and are willing to take so much time to make sure their students are engaged, and how many will simply teach to the text regardless of what it states?

Just something to think about. Though I will admit, I still have my AP European History textbook (my teacher's favorite). Now that's a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment