Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Drugs are Bad

Ugh. Drugs are the worst! Of course, they keep me alive, so they're the best. But they're also killing me! It's a pretty unfortunate cycle.

Example:
1. Taking 20+ pills a day gives me heartburn (also, some of my pills' side effects include heartburn)
2. I take Prevacid (a proton-pump inhibitor) 3x a week to control the acid.
3. Proton-pump inhibitors cause an increased fracture risk with long-term use (1 year+, which is how long I have been taking heartburn meds)
4. Prednisone, one of my drugs that causes the heartburn, also causes increased fracture risk, which was made evident this past February when we checked my bone density and realized my spine has turned into a pliable mush.
5. I'm already at an increased fracture risk for having kidney disease and transplant surgery, with the hope that I would get better now that I'm on a low-dose of prednisone and that my new kidney is working.

So essentially, a drug I take to save my life has already given me a nasty side effect which is increased by a drug I take to counteract another nasty side effect.

Therefore, drugs are bad. But I still have to take them. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment