Sunday, February 22, 2009

Wake-Up Songs

Sometimes I wake up with songs in my head and I have absolutely no idea where they came from.

Some examples:

"Man! I feel like a woman" by Shania Twain
- Ok, I haven't physically listened to this song since I was at summer camp after eighth grade. Not to say it's a bad song, but my last interaction with it was during a line dance in Colorado when I was 14, so what's it doing popping in my head one morning seven years later? Clearly, my subconscious is telling me I haven't been fulfilling my line-dancing needs. Duly noted.

"Woo Hoo" by Blur
- This one's great because I had to google what this song was called and who sang it because the only lyrics I know are "woo hoo," and yet those two lyrics plus "guitar riff na na na na guitar riff" were rolling around in my head this morning. Having studied the lyrics, I can only surmise that my subconscious is a cheap floozy with a snarky attitude and a love of heavy metal and pointless daredevil stunts. I am surprisingly fine with this.

"Buddy Holly" by Weezer
- Clearly, my subconscious has been feeling nostalgic for the late 90s and early 2000s lately, as this is another song which I played on repeat for a week in high school and then promptly forgot about. Or, at least, I thought I did. I've decided that something happened during that week that left an indelible impression on my soul, one of those moments of change and growth and transformation, etc. Oh! I think that was the week I got off-campus lunch privileges. Mmmm... Chipotle!

"5 Dollar Foot Long" aka the Subway Jingle
- That's just good advertising. I really hope my subconscious is getting paid for in-dream commercials. I'm expecting a check next week, Subway.

No comments:

Post a Comment