Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Reagan: Really Not a Great President

I mean no disrespect to the man himself, and I hope he rests in peace, but he wasn't a great president. I know, it's easy to pretend he was, but he kind of sent us down a horrible path of destruction that we're only just now beginning to fully comprehend. Ick!

When we read about him in history class back in school, I remember thinking, "Who could be worse than this guy?" (clearly I wasn't too aware of W yet) Subverting and overthrowing regimes, trading arms for hostages, claiming he was for small government when he actually expanded it, getting us hooked on this "Cut taxes!" thing when he really raised them - to me, Nixon looked better. At least he had a reason for the bad things he did, what with the whole paranoid, egomaniacal depression thing going on. What was Reagan's excuse?

We probably would have been better off if Carter had gotten a second term. I know, everyone hates him, but he wasn't a bad president. He actually cared about addressing the real, substantive, long-term problems of the country instead of pumping everyone up with happy-time rhetoric while going behind their backs and creating the horrific financial situation this country's in now. Reagan's lucky he doesn't have to see what he created, but we do. So why do we have to honor him like he's a God for doing it?

If you, like me, would prefer to remember what Reagan actually did instead of what Republicans (and Democrats!) claim he did, check out this Politico article by Michael Kinsley.

If not, no worries, I'm about to post a cute video montage of rom coms, so you can watch that instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment