Friday, February 4, 2011

Revolutionizing the Healthcare System

By focusing time, resources, and extensive care (and by that I mean person-to-person concern, not "care") on the most expensive, high-cost, high-risk patients, we can lower health care costs for everyone. At least that's the argument in this New Yorker article, and I'm inclined to agree.

It's a lengthy piece, but well worth the read. I've found this true of my own (quite expensive) care, as well. When doctors and nurses take care of me and appreciate me, I take care of myself even better. It's a working, upwards spiral when it's all good, but it is a dysfunctional, downward spiral when healthcare workers disconnect from their patients, as in the vast majority of our current system.

The article ends optimistically, and I'm hoping it's right.

What do you think?

[article via The New Yorker]

No comments:

Post a Comment