Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pottermore Releases Digital and Audio Books!

How exciting that we finally get to enter the land of Harry Potter via digital and audio books on Pottermore!?

I know, not as exciting as the fact that J.K. Rowling is working on her first adult novel.

But still very cool!

I downloaded the series onto my iPad and have seven downloads per title left. I'm also going to download them onto my Kindle, and I am interested to see what the quality will be like. I've got the standard e-ink Kindle, so images are generally left out, and I wonder if that will detract from my reading experience. The iPad version felt like having a cleaner (I've got grubby paws), lighter version of the books, which is exactly what I want from them. I also like the lighting controls and bookmarking options of iBooks.

I am hesitant to fully embrace the iPad versions above the Kindle versions, though, since I haven't yet read them on the Kindle. Also, I've noticed (and, obviously, tons of studies have been done proving this) that reading from e-ink creates less eye strain than reading from my iPad, so I have to take that into consideration. Yes, appearances are prettier on the iPad, but for reading sessions of longer than an hour or so, the Kindle is usually best.

Have you guys purchased the ebooks yet? Or do you think I'm a nut for wanting them when I already have the paper versions?

Also, have you guys noticed that the UK audiobooks are not available to download in the US? What's up with that? Stephen Fry is such a delight, and I was really looking forward to being able to listen to him! I hope that changes soon and isn't a part of some ridiculous cross-country copyright law or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment