Friday, June 5, 2009

Kidney Now!

After mulling over it for a few weeks, I've decided that I really liked the "30 Rock" season finale.

As you know, I like a good kidney-related joke pending it has an upswing. This year's Varsity Show, for example, pissed me off because of a non-sequiter equating people needing transplants with bitches. It had no point and was mean. Lame. However, when Stephen Colbert mentions a made-up kidney disease in his health section, like, "balloon-animal kidney" or whatever, I think it's hilarious. It has nothing to do with anything and is just plain funny.

So I recently re-watched the 30 Rock season finale and, again, really enjoyed it. None of the jokes were about kidneys so much as "We are the World" concert benefits. And Dr. Spaceman's jokes this time were right on, "Kidney transplants are no laughing matter, so I apologize [laugh]. It's just that word. Kidney. The hard 'k' sound." And, the best part of all, they got a lot of really important facts about living donor kidney transplantation out there in a hilarious way with a catchy song and a lot of celebrity voices. Also, all the proceeds of the sale of the song on iTunes go to the NKF (National Kidney Foundation). That's pretty awesome.

It makes me wonder if one of the writers or someone on the show really is going through this or is close to someone who is. If someone is, then I hope they've gotten their kidney and are well on their way towards a full recovery.

And bravo to 30 Rock. They really did a good job of putting kidney donation out there in a positive, happy way. Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment