Friday, June 5, 2009

Stew of the Week

Cheese and Apples. Not just for snack time anymore.

Remember that pear, goat cheese, and arugula sandwich I was drooling over during our second Stew of the Week? Well, I've got a variation today that will blow your mind:

Cheddar cheese. Crisp, green apples. On toasted whole wheat bread.

Who knew!? Apparently, the Brits.

My first week of work has brought me to the Pret a Manger, a British imported sandwich shop (shoppe?) that gives me fond memories of my lovely trip to the Old Country last summer. Not only is everything local and fresh (albeit expensive), I noticed that they've got this sandwich combination that's just plain delicious: white cheddar cheese and apples (they do put mayo on it, but it seems a bit unnecessary). It's sharper than my goat cheese and pear combination but just as delicious. My stats (health-wise, deliciousness-wise) are comparable to the previous combination, but I've thought of some fun things to add and adjust that might be neat:

1. Cream cheese and Granny Smith apples.
2. Cheddar and gala apples (for a bit of sweetness)
3. Cheddar, GS apples, and a dab of honey or agave.
4. Cheddar, GS, thinly sliced almonds.
5. Gouda, gala.
6. Various breads: a whole-wheat baguette for the fancy, white for the homestyle, a wrap for l0w-carb, etc.
7. Grilled. Mmmm grilled.

Any other thoughts?

So if you're looking for a nice, light lunch (it pairs very well with yogurt) or a midday snack, give a little cheese and apple sandwich a try. I think you'll be delightfully surprised.

Happy Stewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment