Wednesday, August 31, 2011

My Borders Just Closed

I wasn't all that surprised to hear earlier this year that Borders would be closing all of its storefronts. Yes, it's strange that the "big box" version of a bookstore that swept through the country and put all the little corner bookstores out of business is itself going out of business due to the growing e-book and online bookselling culture (hopefully to replaced by at least some of those local booksellers!). However, we've been hearing doom and gloom news about them for years, and they didn't seem to put up too much of an effort to stop it from happening (unlike Barnes and Noble, which is doing much better because of its Nook. They may also close some of their storefronts as their e-book business flourishes, but they seem better prepared to keep most of their doors open.).

However, when I stopping by the fancy Columbus Circle bathrooms after a nice walk in the park (after eating our delicious Laduree macarons!), and I saw the Borders with its "Everything must go! Store Closing! 50-70% Sale!" I couldn't believe it.

I had such great memories in this Borders. Admittedly, the only thing I ever bought there was a donut on "National Donut Day" two years ago, but after my transplant when the bf was working in the area and I had a six-day weekend (I had my two classes on Tuesday and that was it), I used to sit in the Fiction aisle for hours and read, waiting for the text that said "I'm here!" It was such a fun way to pass the time.

We decided to see what was left - not much. We flipped through a book on corgi training and I briefly thought about purchasing the second season of "How I Met Your Mother" (which was still over $20 even at 50% off - I guess that's why it's closing), but this sale must have been going on for a while because mostly we saw empty shelves, DVD's of classics like "Santa Paws" and "Twilight: New Moon", and misprinted calendars.

It was the end of an era, but it makes me thankful that the Barnes and Noble in Union Square is still open, and I do hope that it gives local booksellers a chance to reopen shops and reclaim their communities. At least a little bit.

[News articles via Publisher's Weekly]

No comments:

Post a Comment