Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Oscar Nom Noms!

ZOMG are you guys so excited about the Oscars this year!?

Let's check out the full list!!!

Ok, I'm not, either. This is probably because a lot of my favorite movies got snubbed, but also because I felt like I either missed all the super stellar movies this year or they didn't interest me very much.

Of the Best Picture noms, I've only seen three (Hugo, The Help, Midnight in Paris), and while I plan to see more (The Artist, The Tree of Life, The Descendants), I'm not really super stoked about any of them (except maybe the Artist, but I have to see it before I can make a judgement call). Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed both The Help and Midnight in Paris, but are either of them really the best picture of the year? I don't know...

Plus, I'm so sad that there's no Pixar feature to be proud of/outraged it didn't get nom'd for Best Picture this year. Cars 2 didn't even get nominated for Best Animated Feature, and while that's super sad for all of the amazing animators who work at Pixar, I can't say that a film targeted to five-year-old boys and no one else really does deserve an Oscar nod. I certainly hope they take this as a referendum on a) the whole Cars idea and b) unnecessary sequels. Pixar has never had a true "miss" before (and, of course, Cars 2 made plenty of money and I'm sure a ton in merchandise, but still...), so maybe this one will really teach them how to be better and stronger in the future - and also to remember to appeal to both genders and all ages, as they have done very well in the past! Anyway, they are nominated for their short film, "La Luna" which I have not seen, but have heard is just lovely.

I was happy to see Bridesmaids nom'd on Best Screenplay, but disappointed that in this super weird Best Picture group that it didn't even get nominated (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, seriously? Seriously?).

I was also super bummed that 50/50 wasn't on there. Hey, the kid had cancer and wrote a great movie about it, throw him a flipping bone, am I right?

Finally, and this is the pure plain Potterphile in me speaking now, where was Harry Potter? Come on! It deserves a special award just for completing the most epic and incredible series of movies alone, much less for them also being totally amazing! And HP7-P2, are you kidding me? It was incredible. You can't tell me otherwise. Only three noms? All for visual stuff? Yes, it was beautiful, but it deserves more than that. A Best Picture nod, for example. Is it the best movie ever? No, but it is a great film and a the crowning achievement in a beloved series. That deserves something.

The Daily Beast has a nice list of their own snubs/surprises here. In it they include Moviefone's list of snubs/surprises, as well.

PS. In case you didn't recognize a few of the Best Animated Feature film noms, you can check out their trailers at /Film. Interesting stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment