Sunday, July 5, 2009

Stew of the Week



Vegan ice cream.

What?
Usually soy, coconut, or hemp based ice cream. Generally less creamy than the real stuff, but not icey like Italian ice. On a scale of 1-5 for creamiest, 5 being real ice cream, 1 being Italian ice, I'd give it a 4. Also, the flavors are rich, similar to a gelato, which more than makes up for any lack of texture. Also, depending on where you go, it can come in all kinds of flavors - cookie dough, chocolate fudge, bananas foster, stratiacella, mint chocolate chip, etc etc.

Why?
1) F'in delicious
2) 1/2 fat, 2/3 calories, low sat fat, no cholesterol.
3) Did I mention delicious?

How?
1) Well, I'm not sure how to make it (haven't looked up any recipes yet), and I wouldn't be able to verify any because, spoiler alert, I don't own an ice cream maker, BUT, that being said...
2) STOGO, in NYC on 10th St and 2nd Ave, is super tasty. I had the fudge brownie tonight, and, omg, chocolatey with chunks of brownie in it. So good! The first two owners trained under the one of the top ice cream guys in the biz. Then he jumped on the bandwagon, too! Other benefits of Stogo? All organic + no refined sugars = healthy for you and the environment.
3) Your grocery store? We've all seen them, but I have not verified any sort of grocery-store vegan ice cream. Have any of you? What was it like? Does it deserve our attention or is it totes whack? As you all know, I love a good vegan dessert because it'll keep me healthy and my sweet tooth satiated, but it isn't worth it if it isn't delicious. Tell me your thoughts!

So while you have to be a bit wary (I once had chocolate vegan ice cream that tasted like bananas. It was odd), check the reviews of your local vegan ice cream place or dealers and try it out. Then let me know what you think! Also, if you don't live in the NYC, please post a comment recommending a place in your own neighborhood (I'm looking at you Marya, for SF, and you Nicole, for LA, please!) In the meantime, I'm stickin' with Stogo. Delicious.

Happy Stewing, Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment