Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Writer on Writing

Sometimes I avoid writing at all costs. This is generally when the writing needs to be:

a) funny
b) good
c) turned in at a certain time
d) all of the above

For whatever reason, it seems like a looming, ominous cloud hanging above me that spells out the words, "You're gonna blow it." So I'll do other work (usually a writing project that doesn't need to be any good), or browse the internet (Google Reader!), or watch a TV show, anything but write what I don't want to write. But when I finally take out the paper (or pull it up on Word) and start typing, regardless of whether it's good or not, I get excited and jittery in a good way, like things are happening and I'm at the head. Like I've got all these great ideas inside and me, damnit, they're going to come out whether they're coherent or not!

At the end of the process, I've generally got a shitty enough first draft to work with, but it's funny how simply not starting something can make you avoid it all the more, even when you know that if you just get started, just a little bit, you're going to get through it.

Writing is funny that way. So is life. Neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment