Saturday, March 19, 2011

Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss in "The Hunger Games"!

I'm super excited about this bit of casting news in the entertainment world: Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss in "The Hunger Games" movie (due in summer 2012).

I really enjoyed the books (although the 2nd and 3rd books were kind of cop-outs plot-wise - "wait, it's like they're in ANOTHER Hunger Games! OMG!") because:

a) I am a sucker for young adult lit
b) Dystopian future story? I'm in!
c) Strong female lead with both serious strengths AND serious flaws? Awesome!
d) Super sexy romantic love triangle business without it getting really creepy (definitely no sparkly vampires here)?? A thousand times yes!

Why do I care about the casting? While I understand the naysayers here (she's so white and Katniss is totally of mixed descent! She's 20 and Katniss is supposed to be 16!), they must not have seen Lawrence in "Winter's Bone" because she played essentially the exact same character as Katniss, but set in a present world (and a super disturbing one, at that). Having seen "Winter's Bone," I know that "The Hunger Games" are going to be a cakewalk for her - she really can capture that bleak, bare-bones, will-do-anything-to-survive-and-take-care-of-my-family character.

And while she is older, I have to admit, the younger actresses they were looking at just seemed way too young. I know that media has made it so we don't really have an accurate grasp of age anymore (I still think I look younger than the people who play teenagers on WB (er-CW) shows), but Katniss doesn't act like a 16 year old, so I'd rather see her aged up and played well than aged appropriately but played poorly.

Now they just better get Peeta right.

[News via The Wrap]

No comments:

Post a Comment