Thursday, May 14, 2009

Bring Back Sick Days!

I can't agree more with this article.

I feel like people and companies don't understand the consequences of employees coming to work sick.

1) You can't work at quickly or efficiently.
2) You'll stay sicker longer.
3) You'll infect other workers.

These three effects lead to worse effects: an overall reduction of productivity and completed (good) work by the first person, the spreading and repetition of a disease that will continue to have lasting effects on productivity on all workers, and reduced morale overall.

If they had let that one person take one or two sick days, they can make up their work when they've healed and are not contagious. Also, they'll heal a lot faster if they're at home resting than pushing themselves at work. No one else's work will suffer. Everyone will be happier and feel like they're entering a safe working environment. There are literally no down sides.

I can't tell you how important it will be for my future office to maintain a "go home!" policy. I, specifically, am a person who cannot now nor will ever afford to get sick. I need to make sure my work environment can help me achieve continue to live safely.

What can you do to help? Talk to your employer about your company's policy. Politely ask a coworker to take the day off. Don't go to work when you're sick even if you feel pressured to by your boss or coworkers. In the long run, you'll be doing everyone a favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment