Thursday, November 12, 2009

Today's Adorable Grown-Up Puppy


That is what I thought was the headline for this cute little fella. Turns out it was actually "Adoptable" but I figure he's both. Look at his goofy face with his tongue lolling about and his ear flopped to the side! What is it about discordination that is so appealing? There's something about big ears and noses and expressions that make humans go crazy into adorable land, and how many romantic movies have the goofy, clumsy guy/girl as the romantic interest? But I wonder what the scientific reason why is? Shouldn't we, biologically, dislike imperfection?

When I was little, I'd always go for the stuffed animals with the splayed eyes or the ratty fur. I used to say I wanted the runt of the litter whether we were talking about kids (baby goats) or stuffed monkeys (though of course that could have something to do with the fact that I am the runt of my own litter, so maybe I was just projecting my own need for companionship onto them, who knows). What do you guys think? Why are we so attracted to physical (in looks and action) flaws?

PS. I was in IKEA the other day and there were signs labeling stuffed animals as "soft toys." What's up with that? Anyone? That's weird, right? Is this some sort of PC terminology for stuffed animals or is it just a Swedish thing?


No comments:

Post a Comment