Sunday, April 26, 2009

Stew of the Week: Reader Request

Summer Fun with Strawberry Daiquiris! Plus Bonus Extra Recipe!

So our very own Liz from Bear O'Snark suggested I post a homemade strawberry daiquiri recipe. As a non-drinker, I figured I'd find one for the rummies and one for the non-rummies, as well.

After much investigation, I stumbled upon this simple recipe from EatingWell, the same place that gave us our much-beloved Bev's cookies. While I haven't tried it yet, the mix sounds delicious, and I very much approve of the built-in alcohol-free version (just add more strawberries? Yes, please!). They call it a coconut-strawberry daiquiri, but all they really suggest for the coconut part is coconut-flavored rum. What I might try, as I have seen in the other recipes I scoured, is a more orange flavor. Maybe take a bit off of your base rum and add some orange liqueur or fresh orange juice. Why not give it a go?

The benefits? Well, it's a sugary drink, so definitely not something to go for on any ol' day of the week, but some days you just need a fruity, fresh drink, and this one will give you a good 70% of your daily Vitamin C, so why not?

Bonus Healthy Recipe! This fun little strawberry salad looks like a great variation on the classic goat cheese, arugula, honey, and pine nuts combo I mentioned earlier. Let's all give it a go, am I right?

Happy Stewing!

2 comments:

  1. Mmm. And I bet we could even substitute Agave! Our rooftop and my taste buds await!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't even thought of that! Pure genius!

    ReplyDelete