Saturday, April 4, 2009

Stew of the Week

Cauliflower and Hummus in your Tummus!

Alright, we all know that hummus is delicious and a good snacking food, but why cauliflower? It's white and aren't only the veggies rich in color good for you? And isn't it the blandest of the bland veggies?

Aha! That is where you are wrong loyal reader, let me lead you towards the (white) light.

1) Cauliflower is just as good for you as broccoli. It's high in: Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Folate, Pantothenic Acid, Potassium and Manganese. It's also got: Protein, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Magnesium and Phosphorus.
2) All of that packed in a cup of food that, alone and raw, only packs 25 calories? Uh, pass the cauliflower please!
3) The fact that cauliflower has a very subtle flavor is great! It makes it the perfect base for healthy dips or sauces. You can toss it in a stir fry or, as I've been munching it lately, lightly dip it in hummus (tomato and basil is my flavor of the month, but there are just so many to choose from!).
4) Be sure not to go too crazy on your sauce or dip, though. Just because the cauliflower is packed with nutrients and low in calories does not mean that your dip is. Try to limit your snacking to under 2 tbs. per serving. I find this is really easy to do with something like cauliflower, though, because it still picks up all of the flavor of the dip with very little of the actual dip on top.
5) Today was more about cauliflower than hummus, but that's just because I'll come back to hummus when I myself have explored its many varieties and perhaps have attempted to make it myself at some point...

Hope this helps widen your yummy vegetable range! I know they're going back on my grocery list this week!

Happy Stewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment